There was so much shopping, wrapping, cooking, baking and entertaining going on that we can sit back and relax for a day while the plows get the snow off the roads.
Turn on the DVD player and watch the new (or old) movies that magically appeared in your stocking. Make some hot chocolate, round up the kids after their snowball fight and enjoy the movies.
After the kids have finally passed out from exhaustion, light a fire if you have a fireplace and put out some snacks to enjoy with the warm mulled wine while watching your favorite new movie.
If you have heard of mulled wine but not sure what it actually is, here is a simple explanation - mulled means heated and spiced.
How simple is that. Heat up the wine with any spices you enjoy and you have a delicious warm drink on a cold day.
Here's an easy recipe you can prepare to have ready when you are.
(makes 1 quart)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 orange peel (use the entire peel from the orange)
- sliced fruit (apple, pear, etc., your preference)
- 2 TBLS. brandy or fruit liqueur (optional)
- Make a simple syrup with the sugar and water and remove from the heat after it comes to a gentle boil.
- Add the red wine, cinnamon, cloves and orange peel to the simple syrup. Turn on the heat to very low and stir all ingredients. Do not let it boil, just cook slow 30 to 40 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Keep on a very low heat to keep warm and serve when you are ready.
I hope you enjoy the winter wonderland this holiday weekend. Stay warm, be safe and best wishes for the New Year!