With the New Year only hours away our Champagne and sparkling wine bottles are ready and waiting to be served up to TOAST the NEW YEAR.
Everyone loves to pop the cork out of the bottle but it can be hazardous to someone in it's path.
Follow these steps when opening a Champagne or sparkling wine bottle. You can save yourself the trouble of repairing a hole in the ceiling or hurting a loved one.
- The bottle should be well chilled and should not be shaken before opening.
- Remove the foil.
- Make sure the bottle is pointing away from you and/or anyone else.
- Place your thumb over the metal crown to prevent the cork from ejecting while loosening the wire with the other hand by turning the wire stem six times.
- Without removing the wire, keep one hand on top of the cork and hold the bottle with the other hand just about half way down ensuring you have a good grip on the bottle.
- Now slowly turn the bottle, not the cork, and the cork will gently release. (If you are new to opening Champagne or Sparkling wine bottles it is a good idea to place a kitchen towel over the cork while twisting the bottle.)
Happy New Year!