Smoothies are so flexible. They are sweet or savory and healthy, and then there is the tropical frozen drink that includes an alcoholic beverage. All very delicious!
Some helpful tips for making smoothies is to:
- use frozen fruit instead of ice cubes (slice up ripe bananas before freezing)
- add liquid -- either milk (dairy or non-dairy), filtered water, or juice
- if sweetness is needed use agave nectar
- for added nutrition, add either flax seeds, tofu, yogurt, or protein powder
After I enjoyed Cheri's tropical smoothie I decided to make another a few days later for my daughter but I didn't have any melon or bananas. So I just used berries for a quick and simple afternoon snack.
Berry Smoothie Snack
(yields approx. 12-14 oz.)
- 1 cup combined strawberries, raspberries, blueberries (whatever you have)
- 1 cup filtered water & 1/2 cup milk (or add juice 1/2 cup at a time until desired consistency)**
- 2 TBLS. agave**
- 1 TBLS. flax seeds
- Add all ingredients to blender or Ninja and puree until smooth. If too thick add a little more liquid. **If using fruit juices be sure to taste for sweetness before adding any sugars.
Nothing goes to waste, you can even use up the last of the fruit juice. It's delicious and you're also saving money.
I've shared this with: